- Management of epilepsy – generalized tonic-clonic & partial seizures types.
- Neuralgias – trigeminal / glossopharyngeal / post herpetic.
- Neuropathies – diabetic / peripheral
- Phantom limb pain
- Management of alcohol withdrawal syndromes
- Treatment of mania
- Prevention of bipolar & unipolar depression
Dosage & Administration
- Epilepsy – Adults: 100 – 1200mg daily; occasionally 1600mg children 10-15yrs: 600 – 1000mg daily in divided doses
- 5-10yrs: 400-600mg daily in divided doses
- 1-5yrs: 200-400mg daily in divided doses under 1 year: 100 – 200mg daily in divided doses
- Trigeminal neuralgia: 100mg daily; range of 600-1200mg daily in divided doses
- Hypersensitivity to carbamazepine
- Patients with AV conduction abnormalities
- Dizziness / ataxia / fatigue .
- Double vision / dry mouth / nausea
- Skin reactions
- Liver function abnormalities on prolonged use.