Pharmacological Class: Broad spectrum aminoglycoside derivative
- Intestinal protozoal infections (Amoebiasis / Cryptosporodiasis / Giardiasis)
- Tapeworm infections = not treatment of choice
- Suppression of intestinal flora pre-operatively and management of hepatic encephalopathy
Dosage & Administration
- Amoebiasis / Lambliasis / crytosporodiasis / trichomoniasis
- Adults: 500mg/day for 6 days (taken with the meals)
- Children: 50mg/kg/day for 6 days
- Prophylactic sterilization in GI surgery
- Adult: 2g dialy for 3 days
- Children: 50mg/kg/day for 3 days.
- Taeniasis & other Tapeworm Infections: 4g by mouth as a single dose or divided doses over a course of 1hr.
- 4g daily PO in divided doses at regular intervals for 5-6 days.
- Obstruction of GITPatients with kidney or liver disease / neuromascular disorders / impaired hearing
- Nausea / vomiting & Diarrhoea
- Prolonged use may cause malabsorption